Cross-referenced definitions take you from one entry to another with a simple tap on a word in the current entry.
Dictionary interface contains 5 powerful search options to find exactly what you need: headword, wildcard, full text search, as well as search for similar words and anagrams.
Full text search feature allows looking up words more efficiently throughout the whole dictionary content, including headwords, idioms and usage examples.
Includes notes on background topics such as letters and emails, politeness, standardisation and dialect grammar, the meaning of 'correctness', differences between spoken and written English, and changes in English.
Practical English Usage provides instant answers to questions about the English language which both native and non-native speakers of English find difficult to explain: When do we use a past tense with a future meaning? When and why do English speakers use 'the'? Do I say 'big', 'large', or 'great'? What exactly is the difference between 'close' and 'shut'? How do I read out an email address?
The Practical English Usage app:
• Deals with spoken and written grammar, vocabulary, spelling, pronunciation, and differences between formal and informal language.
• Contains over 600 indexed entries covering all the important problems for learners of English.
• Offers clear, simple explanations with corpus-based examples.
• Includes notes on background topics such as letters and emails, politeness, standardisation and dialect grammar, the meaning of 'correctness', differences between spoken and written English, and changes in English.
• Covers differences between British and American English.
• Access entries through the very complete Index, either by scrolling through the list or by keying in the language point you want to look up – e.g. future, conditionals, 'have'.
• Browse through the thematically-organised Contents Overview and the A-Z list of entries. Both of these can also be searched.
• Navigate immediately between related entries through the many cross-references.
• Create your own list of favourite entries.
• Go to ‘History’ to view your recent searches.
«The Practical English Usage app is searchable, saves details of user sessions through a History function, and features a number of navigation paths, including an index, an alphabetical list of entries, and a broader content overview organized by theme.»
Oxford Learner’s Dictionary of Academic English (OLDAE) has won the 2015 British Council ELTon award for Innovation in Learner Resources. The award is for the print + CD-ROM edition and the iOS app and was presented at a ceremony in London on 4 June.